Dear Parents of Upper Primary children!
Are you already busy making preparations for the upcoming Primary 6 PSLE? Let us remind you, now is also the perfect time for you to narrow down a few Secondary school of choice. When it comes to choosing a Secondary school, many parents we’ve spoken to are clueless beyond grades and PSLE cut-off points. Which one(s) should your child apply for? How do you choose one which might best suit your child’s strengths, passion, and needs? Open House serves as a rare chance for you to get involved in your child’s life in Secondary school. A tour of the school compound, meeting with the teachers, exploring the various CCAs and school culture may provide you an opportunity to gain a glimpse into the future.
Due to the Covid-19 restrictions, many Secondary Schools have turned to online options – by doing up online websites to allow showcase of their schools and conducting various webinar sessions for parents and children. Now, you can find out about the different Secondary schools and Open Houses from the comforts of your own home. We came up with this comprehensive guide to guide you through this “confusing” journey. Look no further; here’s a list of upcoming Secondary School Open Houses (Singapore) in 2022.
Before attending the Open House, what are some tips on choosing a Secondary school for your child?
1. Consider your child’s preference and passion
Even before attending any of the Open Houses, you should speak to your child on his/ her preference. Which school environment and cultural values would resonate most with your child’s values and characters? Does he/she have any passion or talents which qualifies for entry into the school via DSA? If it is, which schools has programmes or CCAs which cater best to that? Most schools do not offer niche subjects (such as art and computing). It is up to you parents to perform your due diligence and research the programmes your child would be interested in.
2. Get a grasp on your kid’s academic qualifications
By now, some of you parents would have gotten an idea of your child’s academic capabilities. If your child is not able to meet the rigorous academic demands of the school, it may be a challenge for your child to cope in the future. Other than selected entries via DSA, your child would need to be able to meet the minimum PSLE cut-off point of the school.
3. Consider the location of the school
It is preferable if the school is close to your home. If there are no suitable Secondary School near your place of residence, be sure to check the various transportation options available if your child were to attend that Secondary school.
Are Secondary Open House Sessions Useful?
If you were to ask us, are they useful? Our answer would be a resounding ‘YES’! The Secondary school years is an important segment of every person’s life. It is a period when one’s character and values will be shaped formatively. Time spent in Secondary school can play a huge part in building your child’s character and in turn, in influencing their life choices.
These Open House sessions serve as an excellent way through which you can catch a glimpse of your child’s future school compound, teachers and what each school has got to offer in terms of CCAs, values or culture and academically.
List of Upcoming Secondary Open Houses in 2022
Anglo Chinese School
- Open House Date: 9 April 2022, 9 am to 12 pm
- No pre-registration required. For those who may not be able to attend the event, general enquiries will be available online too.
Catholic High School
- Open House Date: 21 May 2022, 9 am to 12 pm. Visit here for more info.
- For students studying Sec 1 & Sec 2 in other schools, CHS accepts application for admission to Year 3 Integrated Programme (IP)
CHIJ St Nicholas Girls’ School
- Open House Date: Registration for Open House Webinar will open on 30 April 2022, 9.10 am. Visit here for more info.
- Webinar sessions will cover info on DSA application process.
Methodist Girls’ School (Secondary)
- Open House Date: 30 April 2022, 9 am to 12 pm. Visit here. Registration is not required for the virtual visit. Admission to the Zoom webinar is on a first-come-first-served basis and limited slots are available.
- MGS is the only girls’ school with a through-train programme leading to the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) at Anglo-Chinese School (Independent).
Nanyang Girls’ High School
- Open House Date: Ongoing. Visit here.
- In 2004, the school started its Integrated Programme (IP) with Hwa Chong Institution. IP aims to provide the best broad-based and holistic education for all the young ladies of Nanyang Girls’ High School.
Raffles Girls’ School (Secondary)
- Open House Date: 20 May to 10 June 2022.
- There are also webinars held on 21 May 2022 to find out more about the RGS Experience and the different aspects of the Raffles Programme. Visit RGS site for more info.
- Visit here for more info on their webinars & recorded livestream school tour.
School of the Arts Singapore (SOTA)
- Open House Date: 9 April to 17th May; visit here.
- SOTA provides six-year integrated arts and academic curriculum that culminates in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) or the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme (IBCP).
- Open House Date: 21 May 2022 (Online: 10 am – 11 am, On Campus Visit: 1 pm – 4 pm). Register here.
- Provides the International Baccalaureate (IB) programme
- Visit their e-tour here.
- Provides the International Baccalaureate (IB) programme
You should go on and explore what each school has got to offer by attending their e-Open Houses. If they don’t have any Open House listed, you can visit the school website or contact them directly for more information. Through these sessions, we hope that you and your child should be able to “shortlist” which schools are the better fit. Whatever your decision may be, hear your child’s opinion. After all, he/she would be the one spending the next four to six years of his/her life there. Have fun exploring!